Best Running Shoes for Rain in 2018
The best running shoes for rain will have an outsole designed to provide plenty of traction on slick and uneven surfaces. Plus, the shoe will be designed to create a protective barrier to keep water from touching the sock and foot. At the same time, the shoe needs to be lightweight and breathable to keep your foot cool and comfortable.
Finding the best running show for use in wet-weather conditions can be fast and easy. Our complete guide below has 10 top rain-ready running shoes you’ll want to consider before your next run:
Top 3 Best and Favorites
Best New Balance
New Balance 910v4 Gore-Tex
Brooks Ghost 10 GTX
An updated version of the Brooks’ classic, the Ghost 10 GTX is designed to handle all types of weather including heavy rain and even snow. The shoe uppers use a GORE-TEX membrane to keep out water while still allowing for plenty of breathability. Plus, blown rubber and HPR+ rubber combine to create a durable outsole. The shoe will stay in great condition even after daily use in harsh outdoor conditions.
The BioMoGo DNA midsole allows for comfortable cushioning with a flexible fit. Three-dimensional Fit Print overlays are used to create targeted, precise support for maximum impact protection. A full-length segmented Crash Pad and S-257 Cushsole technology help protect your foot when running on-road and off.
This is a premium running shoe but don’t be surprised if you find plenty of other uses for it, too. Keeps your feet dry in wet grass when you need to work in the yard, walk the dog and perform other rainy day outdoor chores.
- GORE-TEX membrane keeps feet dry and comfortable
- BioMoGo DNA cushioning conforms to the shape of your feet
- HPR+ rubber is durable but also lightweight and flexible
- Might not be a significant improvement for current Ghost 9 GTX users
- Fairly heavy at 10.4 ounces
ON Cloudventure Waterproof
For almost 10 years now, On Running has been making quality trail and running shoes designed for even the toughest conditions. From their headquarters in Zurich, On Running has quickly become a premier running shoe brand with over three million customers across 50 countries. Their Cloudventure Waterproof shoe is one of their most popular, and water resistant, shoes.
Many running shoes are made waterproof with a chemical coating, but On uses a physical coating which won’t wear away over time. Plus, the coating is much lighter and more breathable than the chemical variety.
Of course, water resistance is only one part of an effective trail/running shoe. A micro-engineered grip-rubber sole provides four different levels of traction across almost any type of terrain even when running on wet, uneven surfaces. CloudTec cushioning has 11 individual pods helps protect the sole of the foot during downhill running.
From heel to toe and everywhere in-between, the Cloudventure is designed for trail running. Rubber and engineered-mesh toe caps help protect your toes from rocks, roots and other potential hazards.
- Long-lasting physical waterproof coating
- Grip-rubber sole provides great traction outdoors
- CloudTech cushioning provides targeted support
- Available only in black, blue and gray colors
Adidas Terrex Agravic GTX
The Terrex Agravic GTX is one of ADIDAS’s most popular shoes for technical trails and endurance runs. This trail shoe uses Continental Rubber bike tire for the outsole tread, which is durable, lightweight and has plenty of grip. The upper part of the shoe stays free from scuffs and tears thanks to the abrasion-resistant weldings.
The shoe is primarily designed for running in rough and slippery conditions including mountains and other rocky surfaces. They’ll also work well for light sports activities but they’re not the best choice for regular running on concrete or asphalt. But if you like to run on trails and other outdoor terrain, these shoes have a great combination of flexibility and durability.
- Boost design for extra power running uphill
- Outsole tread made from Continental Rubber bike tire
- Designed for trail running, endurance running and other outdoor running
- Not ideal for road or track running
- Weldings add a bit of extra weight
Mizuno Wave Rider 21 GTX
The Wave Rider 21 GTX from Mizuno is designed for runners who don’t want the weather to hold them back. Using redesigned Mizuno Wave Technology, the shoe has softer cushioning than previous models. You’ll still notice the great flexibility and lightweight.
These trail-ready shoes have a GORE-TEX upper which provides all-weather protection without added weight. Shoes have 360-degree reflectivity to pull water and sweat from your foot while a rubber sole protects against rocks and trail debris.
The increased flexibility allows the shoes to cushion your feet as they change position due to terrain. However, this lightweight flexibility does limit the durability. While the shoes are strong enough for trails and rocky areas, they might not provide enough protection for your toes when running in steep mountains.
- Softest, lightest version of the Wave Rider line
- Unique Mizuno Wave technology provides plenty of cushion
- 360 Degree Reflectivity keeps feet dry and protected
- Trusted Mizuno
- Shoes often run a half-size too small
- Limited color options
Inov 8 Parkclaw 275 GTX
A significant step up from the Inov 8 Parkclaw 275, the GTX grips even the toughest and slickest terrain. Ideal for running on outdoor paths and trails. The 275 GTX is a great choice for runners looking to transition from road to trail running.
The shoe features a GORE-TEX membrane to keep feet dry. GORE Invisible Fit Technology allows the membrane to protect the entire shoe without adding unnecessary weight. Outer shoe is made from a lightweight and durable synthetic mesh. Dries quickly and doesn’t retain water.
Versatility is a strong suit with these shoes. They provide cushion and support on both flat and uneven surfaces. Great for runners who don’t run a set route and want to be able to handle whatever unknown terrain might pop up.
- Ideal for anyone new to road and trail running
- Invisible Fit GORE-TEX Technology protects against water
- Lightweight mesh allows for comfortable air flow
- Grip isn’t very strong in extremely wet conditions
New Balance 910v4 Gore-Tex
Don’t let wet running surfaces slow you down. The 910v4 GORE-TEX from New Balance uses RevLite foam to create a light, flexible shoe. No-sew material application helps keep the shoe free from tears.
Hydro hension rubber sole includes toe protection to keep protect against sprains and bruises. GORE-TEX inner liners keep your feet and socks dry even in mud and snow. This shoe is designed for maximum water resistance.
New Balance has a long history of creating high-quality running shoes. Their 910v4 model is their newest and most sophisticated shoe for outdoor trail running. If you’re already a fan of New Balance, the 910v4 can be a welcome step up.
- Hydro hension rubber sole and GORE-TEX lining protect against water
- Light and flexible with no-sew construction
- Comfortable but also keeps foot secure and protected
- Designed for repeated use in wet running conditions
- Very noisy with a loud squeak
- Upper section can be stiff
Saucony Ride 10 GTX
The tenth time is the charm with the Saucony Ride 10 GTX. This is the tenth version of the Ride line and includes the most advanced features yet. An updated TRI-FLEX outsole protects your foot, including the toe, from the shock of running on hard and uneven surfaces.
The shoe has Neutral Cushioning which provides targeted support to your entire foot. Additional EVERRUN Topsole technology provides a thin but powerful layer of cushion to the top of the foot. Invisible fit GORE-TEX keeps the inside of the shoe waterproof and the outside quick-drying.
- Update version of a classic running show
- EVERRUN Topsole technology for upper foot cushion
- TRI-FLEX outsole keeps
- Design can look a bit old-fashioned
- The many similarly-named models in product line can be confusing
Adidas Supernova GTX
Another quality offering from ADIDAS, the Supernova GTX is designed for tough technical trails. The upper portion of the shoe is shielded by GORE-TEX to keep out both falling and standing water. Run through puddles or run in pouring rain – your feet will still stay dry.
The outsole rubber provides plenty of traction on slippery roads, trails and other common types of running terrain. However, the rubber outsole of the Supernova GTX also provides superb traction on dry surfaces.
The underfoot platform adjusts the cushion against the foot based on the specifics of the terrain. The synthetic mesh construction keeps water out while also letting your foot breathe. Great for long runs in humid and rainy conditions. By drawing moisture away from your foot, these shoes help prevent long-term foot problems such as rashes and skin irritation.
- Mesh and Gore-Tex are breathable and water-resistant
- Rubber outsole designed for running on wet and dry surfaces
- Underfoot platforms provide support on both flat and off-road surfaces
- Design can look a little bulky
- White outsole can be difficult to keep clean