The right clothing is just as important as your running shoes. If you’re not comfortable, you’re distracted. The wrong running shirt can cause you to overheat, will get soaked with sweat, and will quick smell like a dirty locker room.
We’ve got you covered with the best running shirts and singlets for men. We’ve picked our best from the main types for different weather conditions. The best thing to wear will vary with the temperature, wind and weather. Pair them with your favorite shorts or tights and you’ll be all set for a great run.
We’ve reviewed all types of shirts including short sleeve, long sleeve, and singlets. Let’s go over our favorites of the best running shirts for men.
Top 3 Best and Favorites
Short Sleeve Running Shirts
These classic running shirts are the most popular running shirts. They work great on their own in warm weather and provide a nice base layer in cool temperatures. The best short sleeve running shirts are lightweight, breathable, fit well, and wick moisture away from your skin.
1. Brooks Ghost Short Sleeve
The Brooks Men’s Ghost Short Sleeve is a polyester-spandex blend garment which means it can take a lot of wear and still hold its shape. It won’t stay wet like other materials such as cotton. You’ll be dry which can make a big difference in comfort.
This is Brooks’ lightest running shirt and has a great feel against your skin.
- Machine washable
- We liked the placement of the logo on the shoulder as less obtrusive than some brands
- It also features stretch paneling at the underarms to prevent damage while giving you freedom of movement
- Some wearers may find the sleeves a bit tight.
2. Smartwool Merino 150 Baselayer Short Sleeve
The Smartwool Men’s Merino 150 Baselayer Short Sleeve is a slick-looking shirt. It is made primarily of merino wool which will help prevent odor-causing bacteria. It breathes well and will keep you dry even during intense workouts.
Merino wool has the reputation of keeping you warm; however, the thin design of the wool makes it airy and breathable. The 150 weight is one of Smartwool’s most versatile fabric weights. It acts equally well on its own as it does as a base layer in colder weather. Because it’s wool, it will keep you warm even when wet, and dries quickly in all temperatures.
- The shirt comes in your choice of nine colors
- The seams are well-designed to prevent chafing
- You can wear it any time of the year whether alone or as a base layer
- Pricey for a short sleeve shirt
3. Salomon Agile Short Sleeve Tee
The Salomon Men’s Agile Short Sleeve Tee is lightweight with a design that fits well. It comes in five color choices which feature a different hue on the sleeve and underarm area. It has a tailored fit that will show off your pecs as one of the best running shirts and singlets for men. Venting under the sleeves ensures you won’t overheat.
- The shirt includes reflective markings to help keep you safe on the road
- It features mesh in the underarm region to keep you cool
- The shirt holds its shape for the long haul
- We weren’t a fan of all the color choices
- You may lose the logo after several washes
Singlets or tank tops offer great freedom of movement on the hottest days of the year. Made with sweat-wicking material, these tops will keep you comfortable throughout your run.
4. Brooks Ghost Tank
The Brooks Men’s Ghost Tank is made of polyester for a quick-drying singlet. It’s a good-looking product that comes in four colors with contrasting stitching to add some pop to the design. It’s semi-fitted to give you some freedom of movement. This tank features a couple small pockets for gel or other small item storage.
- It has reflective details for safer runs
- It has a zippered pocket and two front ones too
- Some may think it’s too light and flimsy
5. Asics Ready Set Singlet
The ASICS Ready-Set Singlet is a budget-friendly shirt that is unpretentious. It has a unique textured mesh that gives it a comfortable feel. It is made of 100-percent polyester for quick drying. It has a loose fit with a crew neck that gives it a sporty feel. Overall, it’s a basic tank for a great price.
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- Good bang for your buck
- Some may think that the loose fit looks sloppy
- The shirts run on the large size
6. Nike Pro Hypercool Tank
The Nike Pro Hypercool Tank is made of 92 percent polyester and 8 percent spandex to give it great moisture wicking properties along with some welcome stretch in the back. It has mesh underarms to keep you cool. It has a close fit but doesn’t feel tight.
- It has some good comfort features including flat seams and taping around the neck
- It is lightweight with a soft feel against your skin
- Some may not like the back which alternates between mesh and cloth strips
- Sizing runs small
Long Sleeve Shirts
During cool, fall days and early spring mornings, long sleeve shirts provide added warmth during your run. Like short sleeve shirts, they also make a great base layer in cold weather.
7. Brooks Distance Long Sleeve
The Brooks Men’s Distance Long Sleeve Shirt strikes a nice balance between the range of motion and style. It has a relaxed fit that won’t leave you feeling like it’s too tight. It is a blend of 85 percent polyester and 15 percent cotton which combines the best of both materials. This shirt has a soft feel and offers odor-resistant fabric.
- Odor-resistant and quick drying
- Soft and true to size
- Make sure and dry it on the low setting or it may shrink
- Some may not like the two-toned look to the shirt
8. Nike Pro Cool Fitted Shirt
The Nike Men Pro Cool Fitted Shirt has a vent down the back to allow for more air flow and moisture-wicking. The fit is contoured without feeling binding. Though billed as cooling, you can wear it year-round and stay comfortable. It makes a good base layer for the winter months.
- These are great-looking shirts with nice color options
- The logo is understated with its placement on the shoulder
- The material struck us as on the thin side
- It doesn’t have pockets
9. New Balance Accelerate Long Sleeve
The New Balance Men’s Accelerate Long-Sleeve Shirt has a tighter fit than other products we reviewed. We liked the horizontal reflective stripe on the back. It is 100-percent polyester which makes it lightweight and quick drying. It’s soft but may be too thin for some.
- The shirt comes in 12 color choices
- The entire shirt is well-ventilated for great air flow
- Sizing is a bit off on the small side
- Some may find the material itchy, especially around the seams
10. GORE R7 Long Sleeve Shirt
Our first impression of the GORE R7 shirt was it’s soft, stretchy feel. While some tech shirts can feel stiff or scratchy, the GORE R7 felt soft and comfortable against our skin. It had plenty of stretch that allows you to move freely.
Combined with the fabric, the R7 shirt has low profile seams to further reduce friction. It also did the job of wicking sweat away to keep us nice and dry.
- Soft, stretchy fabric
- Minimal seams
- Reflective details
- Size ran a little small
Half Zip Shirts
These long sleeve shirts have a zipper on the front to help regulate temperature. They are the best option for cool and cold weather running since the zipper allows you to open up ventilation when you are feeling hot and zip it up when you get cold.
11. Smartwool PhD Wind 1/2 Zip Shirt
The SmartWool PHD Wind Zip Running Top is a merino and polyester blend that combines the comfort of wool with excellent moisture-wicking properties. It is odor-resistant too which is always a plus. The zipper comes up to your neck to keep you warm on those colder runs. The front panel is made of nylon to block the wind and other elements.
- The windproof front panel will help keep a cold breeze from reaching your skin
- While it has a tighter fit, the shirt still allows for plenty of movement
- Some may find the shirt too expensive for what it is
- The zipper goes a little too far down the front
12. New Balance Heat Half Zip
The New Balance Men’s Heat Half Zip Jacket is a blend of polyester and lycra that gives it plenty of stretch and a contoured fit. It has several reflective stripes throughout its construction. Gridded fleece helps keep you warm on cold days. Hidden thumb-holes allow the sleeves to be pulled down to warm your hands.
- The thumbhole cuffs are a welcome touch for keeping your hands warm
- The microfleece material provides plenty of warmth to make it more versatile
- The fit might be too tight for some individuals
13. Nike Dry Fit Element Half Zip
The Men’s Dri-Fit Element 1/2 Zip Running Shirt is a blend of polyester and spandex for an athletic fit that feels comfortable. This theme carries through the entire design with a mock turtleneck that keeps you warm without feeling tight.
- It has a good amount of reflective striping to keep you safe on your run
- It’s a good quality product that fits as expected
- Lots of color options
- Though washable, its fit may change especially if you toss in the dryer