The right clothing is just as important as your running shoes. If you’re not comfortable, you’re distracted. The wrong running shirt can cause you to overheat, will get soaked with sweat, and will quick smell like a dirty locker room.
We’ve got you covered with the best running shirts and singlets for men. We’ve picked our best from the main types for different weather conditions. The best thing to wear will vary with the temperature, wind and weather. Pair them with your favorite shorts or tights and you’ll be all set for a great run.
We’ve reviewed all types of shirts including short sleeve, long sleeve, and singlets. Let’s go over our favorites of the best running shirts for men.
Top 3 Best and Favorites
Brooks Stealth Singlet
New Balance Accelerate Long Sleeve
Short Sleeve Running Shirts
These classic running shirts are the most popular running shirts. They work great on their own in warm weather and provide a nice base layer in cool temperatures. The best short sleeve running shirts are lightweight, breathable, fit well, and wick moisture away from your skin.
1. Rockay Men’s T-Shirt
Have you ever come home after a run, taken off your sweat-soaked shirt, hung it over a chair outdoors and come back and put it on the next day? Generally, we don’t wear shirts more than once because the smell of sweat settles into them.
The Rockay is different. Not only is it created using 57 plastic bottles that were removed from the ocean, but it features Polygiene technology. This Stay-Fresh technology kills odor-causing bacteria and Rockay says you can just air dry your shirt and use it again and again. So it’s reducing ocean waste and reducing water usage.
As if that’s not enough, Rockay offers a 2-year guarantee on their shirts.
- No irritation with flat seams
- Ultraviolet Protection Factor of 50+
- Polygeine’s anti-odor technology
- Breathable and moisture-wicking material
- Washing this shirt in the machine or with detergent can remove the Polygiene
2. Salomon XA Tee
The Salomon Men’s XA Tee is lightweight with a design that fits well. It comes in five color choices which feature a modest monochromatic color pattern.
It has a tailored fit with lightweight material that resists odor and dries quickly. Minimal seams means there is less chance for chafing.
- The shirt includes reflective markings to help keep you safe on the road
- Comfortable and stylish
- The shirt holds its shape for the long haul
- May feel too fitted for some runners
3. Smartwool Merino 150 Baselayer Short Sleeve
The Smartwool Men’s Merino 150 Baselayer Short Sleeve is a slick-looking shirt. It is made primarily of merino wool which will help prevent odor-causing bacteria. It breathes well and will keep you dry even during intense workouts.
Merino wool has the reputation of keeping you warm; however, the thin design of the wool makes it airy and breathable. The 150 weight is one of Smartwool’s most versatile fabric weights. It acts equally well on its own as it does as a base layer in colder weather. Because it’s wool, it will keep you warm even when wet, and dries quickly in all temperatures.
- The shirt comes in your choice of nine colors
- The seams are well-designed to prevent chafing
- You can wear it any time of the year whether alone or as a base layer
- Pricey for a short sleeve shirt
Singlets or tank tops offer great freedom of movement on the hottest days of the year. Made with sweat-wicking material, these tops will keep you comfortable throughout your run.
4. Brooks Stealth Singlet
The Brooks Stealth Singlet is made of polyester for a quick-drying singlet. It’s a good-looking product that comes in several colors.
It’s semi-fitted to give you some freedom of movement. This tank features mesh side panels to keep it lightweight and help you stay cool.
- Lightweight design
- Dries quickly and wicks sweat
- Mesh side panels to keep you cool
- May be too lightweight for some runners
5. Asics Ready Set Singlet
The ASICS Ready-Set Singlet is a budget-friendly shirt that is unpretentious. It has a unique textured mesh that gives it a comfortable feel. It is made of 100-percent polyester for quick drying. It has a loose fit with a crew neck that gives it a sporty feel. Overall, it’s a basic tank for a great price.
- Machine washable and dryer safe
- Good bang for your buck
- Some may think that the loose fit looks sloppy
- The shirts run on the large size
6. Nike Aeroswift Singlet
The Nike Aeroswift Singlet is made with Dri-Fit material for great moisture-wicking properties. This slim-fit singlet is also made with 75% recycled materials for an eco-friendly design.
Strategically placed holes in the singlet allow for improved airflow. This lightweight, free-flowing singlet will make you feel free and fast.
- Dri-fit to keep you dry and comfortable
- It is lightweight with a soft feel against your skin
- Made with 75% recycled material
- Expensive for a singlet
Long Sleeve Shirts
During cool, fall days and early spring mornings, long sleeve shirts provide added warmth during your run. Like short sleeve shirts, they also make a great base layer in cold weather.
7. Brooks Distance Long Sleeve
The Brooks Men’s Distance Long Sleeve Shirt strikes a nice balance between the range of motion and style. It has a relaxed fit that won’t leave you feeling like it’s too tight.
It is a blend of 85 percent polyester and 15 percent cotton which combines the best of both materials. This shirt has a soft feel and offers odor-resistant fabric.
- Odor-resistant and quick drying
- Soft and true to size
- Make sure and dry it on the low setting or it may shrink
- Some may not like the two-toned look to the shirt
8. Nike Dri-FIT Running Crew
The Nike Dri Fit running crew is a comfortable top with moisture-wicking fabric.
The fit is contoured without feeling binding. It can be worn year-round on its own or as a baselayer or midlayer. Thumbholes are an added bonus when the weather cools down.
- These are great-looking shirts with nice color options
- Comfortable and quick-dry design
- The logo is reflective
- It doesn’t have pockets
9. New Balance Accelerate Long Sleeve
The New Balance Men’s Accelerate Long-Sleeve Shirt has a tighter fit than other products we reviewed. We liked the horizontal reflective stripe on the back. It is 100-percent polyester which makes it lightweight and quick drying. It’s soft but may be too thin for some.
- The shirt comes in 12 color choices
- The entire shirt is well-ventilated for great air flow
- Sizing is a bit off on the small side
- Some may find the material itchy, especially around the seams
10. GORE Energetic LS Shirt
Our first impression of the GORE Energetic shirt was it’s soft, stretchy feel. While some tech shirts can feel stiff or scratchy, this GORE felt soft and comfortable against our skin. It had plenty of stretch that allows you to move freely.
Combined with the fabric, the Energetic shirt is quick drying and features thumb-holes in the sleeve. It also moved well and didn’t feel restrictive.
- Soft, stretchy fabric
- Feels great when wearing it
Half and Quarter Zip Shirts
These long sleeve shirts have a zipper on the front to help regulate temperature. They are the best option for cool and cold weather running since the zipper allows you to open up ventilation when you are feeling hot and zip it up when you get cold.
11. Rockay Long Sleeve
Runners who live in a cooler climate or like to go for a run early in the morning or late at night will appreciate the quality of this long-sleeved shirt. It’s made from two different recycled products and is light and thin, perfect to layer over other things.
A quarter-zip on the chest allows for extra airflow when opened. These are also reinforced chest panels to stop the wind from getting in. There are also thumb holes so your sleeves can double up as mittens in the cold.
It features reflective detailing so you can be seen in all lights. Polygiene technology keeps this material clean and smelling nice.
- Made from two recyclable products
- Quarter zip on the upper chest
- Reflective detailing for 360° visibility
- Chest panel protects against the wind
- The thumb holes may let a breeze in if you prefer not to use them
12. Smartwool Merino Sport 250 Long Sleeve 1/4 Zip
The SmartWool Sport 250 1/4 Zip is a merino and polyester blend that combines the comfort of wool with excellent moisture-wicking properties. It is odor-resistant too which is always a plus.
The zipper comes up to your neck to keep you warm on those colder runs. This top is on the thicker side making it ideal to wear alone on chilly fall days or as a baselayer in the winter.
- Feels great and doesn’t retain odor
- Nice color options
- Works great as a baselayer in the winter
- Some may find the shirt too expensive for what it is
13. New Balance Heat Quarter Zip
The New Balance Men’s Heat Quarter Zip is a blend of polyester and lycra that gives it plenty of stretch and a contoured fit. It has several reflective stripes throughout its construction.
Gridded fleece helps keep you warm on cold days. Hidden thumb-holes allow the sleeves to be pulled down to warm your hands. A front zip pocket has room to store a few small items.
- The thumbhole cuffs are a welcome touch for keeping your hands warm
- The microfleece material provides plenty of warmth to make it more versatile
- Nice to have a small pocket
- The fit might be too tight for some individuals
14. Nike Dry Fit Element Half Zip
The Men’s Dri-Fit Element 1/2 Zip Running Shirt is a blend of polyester and spandex for an athletic fit that feels comfortable. This theme carries through the entire design with a mock turtleneck that keeps you warm without feeling tight.
- It has a good amount of reflective striping to keep you safe on your run
- It’s a good quality product that fits as expected
- Lots of color options
- Though washable, its fit may change especially if you toss in the dryer